top of page

Making the First Call


What should you do when someone dies at home and they were not under the care of a physician or hospice? 

You should contact your local law enforcement. The police will then determine the appropriate next steps.

Once a determination of death is made by a justice of the peace or physician, you should call the funeral home to begin making arrangements.  

Other Calling Scenarios

If the passing occurs at home and your loved one is under hospice care
Contact the hospice. A hospice nurse will respond to your home and make the pronouncement of death. Ask the nurse to contact Walker & Walker at (936) 687-2255. Our personnel will arrive at the home of the deceased immediately.

If the passing occurs at the hospital, hospice, nursing home, or assisted living center
A nurse or physician will make the pronouncement of death. Ask the nurse to contact Walker & Walker at (936) 687-2255. Our personnel will arrive at the facility immediately.

If the passing occurs and the medical examiner is involved
If the medical examiner decides to perform an autopsy, he or she will take your loved one into care. Please complete and send the appropriate release form to us or give us a call for assistance at (936) 687-2255.

If a sudden death occurs outside a health care facility
The best advice is to call 911. The police will then determine the appropriate steps to take depending upon the particular situation.

If the death of a family member is anticipated
It is wise to begin thinking about the final arrangements in advance. We frequently meet with the family before death to begin the process of gathering the needed information and discussing the services. This way the family is not overwhelmed at the time of death. If you wish to start the process, please give us a call at (936) 687-2255.

For a death away from home
Call us immediately so we can begin the process. It is not necessary for you to contact a funeral home in another city because additional expenses will incur to the family. We can make all the necessary arrangements through funeral directors we work with throughout the state. We will need some basic information from you and will ask you to set a time for arrangements at our funeral home.

For more information on how we can help or to set up an appointment, give us a call. 


(936) 687-2255

bottom of page